Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Slow Cooked Taco Soup

This is a staple in our house!  I was inspired by this recipe over a year ago, but I have changed it a lot to fit our taste buds!  This recipe is SO easy because it's mostly a bunch of canned goods that are always in my pantry;  the ingredients are all thrown into the crock pot and ready when you are!

Slow Cooked Taco Soup

1 pound ground beef
1 chopped onion
2 15 ounce cans of undrained beans- kidney, pinto, black, chili, etc. (I usually just use kidney beans because my kids prefer them)
1 10 ounce can of enchilada sauce
2 14.5 ounce cans undrained diced tomatoes
1 4 ounce can undrained diced green chilies
Dash of lime juice
1 package of taco seasoning (I use this recipe to make my own seasoning)
3 cups of water
Garnish
chopped cilantro
diced avocado
chopped green onion
shredded cheese
dollop of sour cream
lime wedges
crushed tortilla chips

Cook ground beef in a medium skillet until crumbly and no longer pink.  Drain grease and put meat in your slow cooker.  Add chopped onion, undrained beans, undrained tomatoes, undrained chilies, lime juice, taco seasoning and water.  Mix everything together until the spices are well incorporated and cook on low for 4-6 hours. Garnish with whatever you choose, or all the ideas listed above. (my preferred way to eat this!)

My slow cooker seems to run hotter than some of the older models, so I usually cook on low about 3-4 hours and leave it on warm until we are ready to eat it.  Mmmm it is sooo yummy and my house always smells amazing while it is cooking.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment